I start Ceramics at Waconia High School with this project “Story-Dream Tile” to teach students how to throw slabs, foreground, middleground, background, patterning, relief (subtractive + additive methods), and how to carve in the leatherhard stage. If you wish to see more story-dream tiles please click on the image above.
- I first have students write down a story from the summer or in the last couple years (or a dream).
- They then brainstorm on objects they may need to look at in order to draw these tiles.
- I allow them to go to the computers and print off images if needed.
- They draw two thumbnail images (get checked off) and are then allowed to go onto a final design.
- I show students how to create a slab, punching holes through design to transfer image onto slab, and add a slab by slipping and scoring.
- I also show how to carve in the leather hard stage. A main goal is to have students add as much as they take away – TIP – no needle point carvings (unless texture) but carve away SHAPES or thick lines
- Another TIP – Student will want to do beach scenes – they may but they cannot be typical! Encourage them to do a story from the last year to cut down on this or to have them active in the image.
Below are some files that I use to guide the project feel free to use them!